Thursday, April 28, 2011

Catching Up - Disney in December (Part 1: Weather)



I've been helping five families plan their Spring Disney trips so I've got some great advice coming soon. Since it's been a while since I posted, I thought I would start with a re-cap of our trip to Disney this past December.

Weather

We could see that it was going to be a cold week, so we packed lots of warm clothes. One crucial mistake we made was leaving our big coats behind. How cold would it really be in Florida, right? It was so cold that we wore every piece of warm clothing we had---EVERY DAY---and still bought extra layers once we were in the parks. (The mouse ears we are wearing in these pictures were more for warmth than festive novelty.)

I never noticed how shady the parks are until I was stopping to warm myself in any patch of sun like an old house cat. The shade is great in August when it 100 and humid. Not so much at 40 degrees in December. There was also a stiff breeze every day adding a wind chill to already low temps.

If you are planning a winter trip to DW, make sure you pack warm layers. Better to be prepared and not need them! Also, make sure you include a windbreaker to wear over your sweatshirts.

The chill in the air did provide a festive environment that this South Texas girl doesn't usually get during the holiday season AND I think it kept crowds down, especially in the mornings and evenings. One night we got out of dinner at the Biergarten just in time for fireworks at Epcot and had the whole World Showcase side of the lagoon to ourselves. (And plenty of bier in our bellies to keep us warm!)



Sweaters and leis ----festive!

No comments:

Post a Comment